Thursday, February 01, 2007

Genes from Seeds

This year, I have been able to add a lot of great genetics from seeds of crosses of plants that I don't grow in my garden. This strategy should really help in the long run by giving me a variety of seedlings to work with. By working primarily with seedlings, the chances of getting something unique from shuffling the genetic deck should be better.

There will certainly be a majority of seedlings that won't be worth working with for one reason or another (muddy colour, too short, not a good form, poor plant habit, doesn't fit in with what I want) - but all I need is a few nice ones. I think that from crosses such as these, my chances are good. I have tried to select crosses from parents that have a combination of good attributes. I have also selected a few crossses that are all about building bud count and branching and increasing plant vigour.

One of the nicest side-effects of all of this is that I have met a lot of new people in the daylily world, and really enjoyed some wonderful conversations with them. Daylily lovers are some of the nicest people in the whole world!

Enjoy your garden! I can't wait to see my seedling patch in 2 years time. Life is good.

No comments: